Seared Scallops with Arugula Apple Salad
Scallops, apples, and dressing, oh my! This delectable dish will become your new go to recipe. The apples and fresh vegetables combine together to flatter the delicious Digby scallops. The additional homemade dressing takes it one step further, with its rich and smooth taste.
Ingredients – Salad
|2||Valley apples, julienne or matchstick|
|1||red onion, thinly sliced|
|1||red pepper, julienne or matchstick|
|6 oz||local feta cheese, diced|
Ingredients – Scallops
|16||large Digby scallops|
|1/4 cup||vegetable oil|
|salt and pepper to taste|
Ingredients – Salad Dressing
|1/2 cup||olive oil|
|1/4 cup||red wine vinegar|
|1 1/2 tbsp||maple syrup|
|2||cloves garlic, crushed|
|1 tbsp||Dijon mustard|
|1 tbsp||fresh thyme|
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Mix salad ingredients together and arrange on a platter or plates.
- Make dressing by combining olive oil, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, Dijon and fresh thyme in a sealed jar. Shake until ingredients are mixed.
- Dry scallops by patting down with a paper towel. Season with salt and cracked pepper.
- Heat pan on medium to high temperature and add vegetable oil to the hot pan.
- Sear scallops by gently placing the seasoned top side down into the hot oil.
- Cook for approximately 2 minutes, then flip.
- Cook for another minute on the other side, until slightly golden brown. Remove immediately.
- Serve with dressed arugula and apple salad.
Local Source Guide:
Cheese: Fox Hill Cheese House
Recipe provided by: The Acadian Dining Room at Old Orchard Inn & Spa
This recipe is featured in our 2019 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide.