Bay of Fundy & Annapolis Valley Staycation
The Bay of Fundy and Annapolis Valley region is known for its world-famous tides and fertile rich soils. The region is also home to many unique culinary experiences produced by the land and sea. This summer, explore The Bay of Fundy and Annapolis Valley region and enjoy all the delicious food and beverages it has to offer!
To help you plan your next staycation, we’ve put together a guide of the region, highlighting where to eat, drink, and explore this summer!
Wolfville & Area
FOOD AND DRINK
- Annapolis Cider Company: The Annapolis Cider Company is all about local – they get their apples from nearby orchards, have them pressed into juice just down the road, and ferment the juice into cider right on Main Street in Wolfville. Visitors to the cidery can view the cidermaking process by peering directly into the cellar, while enjoying a selection of their ciders at the tasting bar. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Church Brewing Company: Housed in an old stone church on the Bay of Fundy, you’ll find Church Brewing Company. Their carefully curated menu is sourced by using seasonal ingredients from local farmers and producers. Their fun and flavourful food is complemented by their high quality beer brewed with passion, personality and purpose. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Domaine de Grand Pré: Grand Pre Wines has been committed to making wine that embodies the land and climate of the Annapolis Valley for years. You can join them this summer for a winery tour and tasting to learn about grape growing, wine making and the rich history of their region. While you’re visiting stop by their on-site restaurant Le Caveau, to enjoy global cuisine with emphasis on fresh and locally farmed ingredients. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail and Chowder Trail stamp here.
- Luckett Vineyards: Stop by Luckett Vineyards and enjoy a wine tasting, a meal with a view on their stunning patio, and a walk through their vineyards. Don’t forget to snap a photo with the phone booth – a trip to the winery isn’t complete without one!
- You can collect a Good Cheer Trail and Chowder Trail stamp here.
- Just Us! Coffee Roasters: Just Us! Coffee is a worker owned co-op roasting specialty grade, certified fair trade SPP (Small Producers Symbol), and organic coffee – ensuring integrity of supply from seed to cup. Stop into their Wolfville or Grand Pré café to enjoy a selection of seasonal salads, gourmet sandwiches, freshly baked tartan twirls, take-home ready-to-bake meals and desserts.
- Paddy’s Brewpub & Rosie’s Restaurant: At Paddy’s Brewpub, they’ve been brewing and enjoying craft beer and cider with flavour and character since 1995 – showcasing a variety of beer styles and local cider with a focus on freshness. Stop by their Wolfville or Kentville location and enjoy a selection of food prepared by their culinary team, including scallops, haddock, mussels and more! You can collect a Good Cheer Trail, Lobster Trail and Chowder Trail stamp here!
- Book a wine tour: Experience the elegant wines of Wolfville! Book a wine tour and tasting with Benjamin Bridge, Lightfoot & Wolfville Vineyards, Luckett Vineyards, L’Acadie Vineyards, Gaspereau Vineyards, Grand Pre Wines, or Mercator Vineyards. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp at all of these locations.
- Book a wine tour: The Wolfville Magic Winery Bus, Wine and Beer Tours of Nova Scotia, Uncork Nova Scotia, and Grape Escapes all feature several different wine tour experiences. BONUS – if wine isn’t your beverage, there are also lots of tour options featuring beer, cider, spirits and mead!
- Stay at Old Orchard Inn & Spa: Whether you’re looking to stay one night or rent out a cottage with friends, the Old Orchard Inn & Spa will make you feel welcome. From full range suites, panoramic views, balconies, drive-ups and seasonal cottages – there’s an accommodation for everyone! While you’re visiting, check out The Acadian Dining Room Restaurant for a local culinary experience and learn about the rich Acadian history.
- Stay at the Blomidon Inn: A fantastic setting in a restored Sea Captain’s Mansion, Blomidon Inn boasts multiple dining rooms, grand sitting rooms and a large exterior terrace for the summer season. While you’re visiting, enjoy local seasonal fare fresh from the valley and the sea and choose from an extensive list of local wines!
- Tangled Garden: Tangled Garden is both a garden of delight and a working herb and fruit farm. Enjoy a stroll through their gardens, peek into the kitchen where their savoury jellies are made daily with fresh picked herbs and sample one of their fruit liqueurs. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
FOOD AND DRINK
- Barrelling Tide Distillery: Surrounded by rich valley farmlands and some of the worlds highest tides, you’ll find Barrelling Tide Distillery. Their spirits and liqueurs are hand crafted in small batches on-site using produce and products from local farmers and producers. Stop by their distillery to experience their unique selection of vodka, gin, rum and fruit liqueurs. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail Stamp here.
- Planters Ridge Winey: Housed in a stunning 160-year-old timber framed barn, you’ll find Planters Ridge Winery. Their carefully selected grapes and growing varietals has gained Planters Ridge a reputation for crafting well-balanced, aromatic whites and silky smooth reds. Join them this summer on their patio for a wine tour, tasting and local food board. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Wayfarers’ Ale: Wayfarers’ Ale came together in 2012 as a group of local craft beer enthusiasts developing their own beers. After a lot of experimenting and tasting, they gravitated toward some interesting heritage beers that go well with food and friends. Take an opportunity to enjoy one of their great beers or cider from the comfort of their upstairs taproom and patio or from the historic Port Williams wharf. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Agri-Growers Ltd.: Agri-Growers Limited is comprised of eight farms, harvesting 4,500 acres and shipping 25 million pounds of mixed fresh vegetables and fruit out of the Annapolis Valley. They ship a wide range of high quality produce including cut and peeled mini carrots, fresh carrots, onions, cabbage, turnip, parsnip, apples, beets, strawberries, broccoli and cauliflower. Look for their products at your local grocery store!
- Fox Hill Cheese House: At Fox Hill, they are proud to plant the seed, grow the grass, milk the cows and make specialty products for you. Visit their retail store to taste their specialty cheeses, natural yogurt, luscious gelato and fresh pasteurized, non-homogenized milk in glass bottles.
- Noggin’s Corner Farm Market: Noggin’s Corner Farm Market has been family-owned and operated since 1760. Known for it’s delicious fruit, u-picks and 8 acre corn maze – it’s the perfect place to visit with the family! If you can’t make it to the farm, visit one of their markets for a selection of local produce, meats, dairy, bakery items and prepared meals.
- Stirling Fruit Farms Ltd. The Stirling family name has been associated with apples and farming in the Annapolis Valley since 1917. At their farm markets, choose from a selection of local fruits and vegetables from their farm and locally produced jams, jellies, juices, honey and maple products.
Canning/ Sheffield Mills
FOOD AND DRINK
- Blomidon Estate Winery: Blomidon Estate Winery is a boutique winery nestled on the shore of the Minas Basin. Their beautiful seaside setting offers a unique location for viticulture, as well as a scenic stopping point for many visitors. Enjoy the view while you relax on their sunny patio, sip on a glass of wine and savour the moment with a selection of local cheese and charcuterie. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Crystany’s Brasserie: Crystany’s Brasserie is 100 per cent certified gluten-free! Their gourmet meals are made in-house and prepared with the finest local produce. While you’re visiting, enjoy a selection of local wines, ciders, spirits, beers and gluten-free beverages.
- Hall’s Harbour Lobster Pound & Restaurant: Witness the highest tides in the world while savouring Bay of Fundy lobster and seafood at Hall’s Harbour Lobster Pound & Restaurant. Observe as fishermen steam in to offload their bounty, choose your lobster from the tank and deliver it to the chef in preparation for your meal. Finish your lobster pound experience with a scenic stroll on the boardwalk! You can collect a Lobster Trail stamp here.
- Sea Level Brewing: Sea Level Brewing and their farming family at Millstone Harvest Brewhouse, are working together as an Estate Brewery. Their new Brewhouse is surrounded by the lush acreage on which they grow most of their malting barley, some hops and other fruit inputs. Join them on their patio or in their taproom for a pint or a sample tray of a dozen of their own hand crafted beers and ciders! You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Country Magic: The primary crops at Country Magic Farm include highbush blueberries (fresh market, processing and u-pick), onions, potatoes, strawberries, blackberries, and grape tomatoes. The warm days and cool nights ensure their products deliver intense flavour profiles—from sweet berries to hardy vegetables. Look for their products at local farmers markets and all major retailers throughout the province.
- Randsland Farms: Randsland Farms has been a time honoured, family farming tradition for over 50 years. Year-round, they process fresh cut, ready-to-eat salad blends and vegetables for retail and food service including cabbage, broccoli and kale. Look for their products at local farmers markets or local grocery retailers!
- U-Picks: If you’re looking for a fun activity the whole family can enjoy, visit the u-pick at Country Magic. Stay tuned for seasonal updates!
- Cape Split Provincial Park: Feeling adventurous? Visit Cape Split Provincial Park! Considered a provincially significant coastal landmark overlooking the Bay of Fundy – Cape Split is a popular hiking spot. Grab your sunscreen, water, hiking boots and local snacks, and get ready to hike the Fundy coastline!
Kentville & Area
FOOD AND DRINK
- Maritime Express Cider Co.: Maritime Express Cider Co. offers a taproom and restaurant experience in a beautiful, iconic railway hotel. Enjoy their menu of elevated pub food (the fried chicken sandwich is a fan favourite!) while sampling their ciders or enjoying a locally made craft beer. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Paddy’s Brewpub Kentville: If you didn’t have a chance to stop by Paddy’s Wolfville location, don’t fret! Their Kentville brewpub offers a second opportunity to collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp!
- Charles Keddy Farms Ltd.: Charles Keddy Farms are proud commercial producers of sweet potatoes. You can find their products at local farm markets and select larger retailers throughout Atlantic Canada.
- Petite Patrie Chocolate: Founded in 2017, Petite Patrie is bringing bean-to-bar chocolate to Nova Scotia where cacao beans are stone ground to produce the most decadent chocolate! Their cacao is fairly traded and child labour free. Petite Patrie offers a wide selection of dark, milk and white chocolate bars, mouth-watering confections and European style drinking chocolate. Stop by their retail shop to watch the cacao beans being transformed into chocolate and enjoy a chocolate treat!
- Nova Coffee: At the foot of the beautiful North Mountain, you’ll find Nova Coffee. Their state-of-the-art afterburners protect the air, while they roast more than sixteen single origins, blends and microlots. You can purchase their products at their store in Lakeville, online or through one of their independent retail partners.
- Sable Shortbread Company: Sable Shortbread makes amazing gourmet shortbread cookies, by hand, from scratch, in small batches, the artisanal way. From the classic to the contemporary, their flavours like Meyer Lemon, Margarita and Tiramisu will delight your taste buds! Stop by their store for a sweet treat and browse their selection of gourmet candy and baking ingredients.
- Scotian Gold: Scotian Gold is a grower owned tree fruit cooperative. They specialize in premium apples such as Honeycrisp, SweeTango and Ambrosia. As a cooperative they consolidate, store and pack apples grown by over 50 family farms across Nova Scotia. You can find Scotian Gold apples at all major retailers throughout the province!
Berwick/ Somerset Area
FOOD AND DRINK
- Kellock’s Restaurant: At Kellock’s Restaurant, experience comfort food with an elegant flare and the nostalgia feeling of a Nova Scotian kitchen party. Their restaurant is housed in a 200 year old heritage property – serving agriculturally rich local cuisine. Stop by their restaurant for an intimate dining experience or relax under the maple trees on their patio.
- The Union Street: The Union Street (pictured above) celebrates the best of local fishermen, artisanal cheese makers, producers, farmers, and musicians. Indulge in a glass of wine from a local winery, or a pint of craft beer, while you enjoy the local musical talent.
- Meadowbrook Meat Market: Experience the taste of locally grown pork at Meadowbrook Meat Market. Their meat is raised on locally sourced and milled nutrient balanced animal by-products free feed and is made into products without fillers, dyes, msg or antibiotics. You can stop into their shop to pick up their top quality pork. They also offer catering, wholesale, fundraising opportunities, and specialty orders.
FOOD AND DRINK
- Founder’s House Dining & Drinks: At Founder’s House, their passion is locally sourced ingredients for dining, along with locally sourced beer, wine, cider, and spirits for their drinks. It’s about Elevated Rural Dining – rooted in sea and soil. Visit their restaurant for a creative taste of home served in a beautiful valley setting.
- Still Fired Distilleries: Still Fired Distilleries is a full-service artisan craft distillery. They are involved in every aspect of production – from fermentation to filtration. Their full line of products can be purchased at the distillery, across the road at the Lequille Country Store. Select products can also be found at Liquid Assets, Bishop’s Cellar and select farmers’ markets around Nova Scotia. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- den Haan Greenhouses: Since 1963, den Haan Greenhouses has been growing high quality greenhouse tomatoes and cucumbers for the Atlantic Canada region. Their aromatic, juicy tomatoes and cool, crisp cucumbers are available year round and can be purchased through many local retailers and grocery stores.
- Hamilton’s Fish Farm: Hamilton’s Fish Farm is a family-owned business, proudly producing high-quality, hand-raised rainbow trout grown at their 100% land-based aquaculture facility. They prioritize the long-term health of our waterways on a local and global scale and work closely with conservation programs to reduce the pressure on our oceans. You can order their products online or look for them an independent retailers!
- Valley Flax Flour Ltd.: Valley FlaxFlour is a gluten-free flour mill located in Middleton. Their all-Canadian, non-GMO ingredients and mixes are milled and blended in an allergen free facility, free of nuts, wheat, gluten and other common allergens. Stop by their retail store to pick up their products including their Complete Bread Mix, Pancake & Cookie Mix, All-Canadian Breakfast Cereal, and Shake & Smoothie Booster anti-oxidant blend.
FOOD AND DRINK PRODUCTS
- Gidney Fisheries: Gidney Fisheries procures, processes and delivers sweet Nova Scotian lobster throughout the world. They purchase their lobster from local fisherman and processes it into raw frozen lobster meat, free from additives and preservatives. You can order their frozen lobster boxes online or stop by their retail store.
- Casa Nova Fine Beverages: Casa Nova Fine Beverages is a producer of award winning wine, ciders and cellos. They produce a line of gourmet quality wine jelly, preserves, sweet, savory and hot sauces, mustards and estate maple syrup. You can find select products at the NSLC, local farmers markets and in local restaurants and pubs. Their store is open daily all summer so don’t forget to stop by! You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Experience Digby Pines Golf Resort and Spa: Overlooking the beautiful Annapolis Basin is the Digby Pines Golf Resort and Spa. Known for its beautiful views, golf course and unique dining experiences – Digby Pines is a must-visit staycation destination! Their culinary team offers a creative menu, driven by a passion for locally-sourced, seasonally-inspired, Nova Scotia ingredients. While you’re visiting, don’t forget to try their world famous Digby scallops! You can collect a Chowder Trail stamp here.
Windsor & Area
FOOD AND DRINK
- Avondale Sky Winery: Experience the rolling hills, southern slopes and ever-changing tidal landscape at Avondale Sky Winery. For the full experience, book a wine tasting and tour of their vineyard and indulge in their locally-sourced cuisine while relaxing on their patio. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Sainte-Famille Wines: Sainte-Famille has been crafting award-winning wines from the warmth and beauty of the estate vineyard for over 25 years. Their friendly and knowledgeable staff offer tastings and tours for a truly unique experience! You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Schoolhouse Brewery: Schoolhouse Brewery showcases their array of quality craft brews in a cheery, school-themed taproom. The “Classroom Taproom” offers a full experience where you can enjoy a pint alongside something from the kitchen, try a sample flight of all the brews, or browse the unique merchandise in the Brewtique. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- WINEGRUNT: Offering a broad assortment of local wines, craft beers and ciders, WINEGRUNT offers a true sense of Nova Scotia terroir. Their artisanal and locally sourced menu switches every 2 weeks to accommodate seasonal ingredients. Stay tuned for their upcoming theme nights and specials!
- Meander River Farm and Brewery: Meander River Farm and Brewery produces seasonal brews and ciders, and handmade products from farm resources. You can stop by their retail shop or find their products at local farmers markets across Nova Scotia. You can collect a Good Cheer trail stamp here.
- Dr. Kombu Brewing Company: Dr. Kombu Brewing Company produces Solàs Kombucha using traditional fermentation techniques and local ingredients. Solàs currently carries eight varieties, with many more and additional products on the horizon. Order online and receive free contactless delivery on orders over $75.
- Shivani’s Kitchen: Shivani’s Kitchen makes it easy to experience the bold, authentic flavors of India. Using a generations old family recipe, their spice blends and ready-to-use sauces help create dishes like butter chicken, curry, and tikka. You can stop by their retail shop or find their products online, at Sobey’s and various restaurants and cafes across Atlantic Canada.
- Experience The Flying Apron Inn & Cookery Ltd.: If you’re looking for a relaxing and intimate setting, stay at The Flying Apron Inn & Cookery. Their beautiful five-room inn is the perfect relaxing getaway and culinary destination. Using the freshest local, sustainable ingredients with a curated drink menu – The Flying Apron Inn & Cookery brings out the foodie in everyone! Relax on their patio while overlooking the resident chickens, bee hives and gorgeous gardens. You can collect a Chowder Trail stamp here.
Truro & Area
FOOD AND DRINK
- Bistro 22: At Bistro 22, they offer warm hospitality and an upscale-casual dining experience. They are proud to serve some of Nova Scotia’s finest wines and beers, with a menu that highlights local, seasonal ingredients from the land and sea.
- Coldstream Clear Distillery: A deep family history and an adventurous modern day endeavour brings you Coldstream Clear Distillery. The family distilling tradition originated in 1749 and was revived a full nine generations later. Today’s products include a wide variety of canned cocktails including vodka soda, lemonade, iced tea, gin soda & more. Their product selection also includes top quality vodkas, rums, liqueurs, and rum cream. You can find their products at their retail shop and at the NSLC. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Raging Crow Distillery: Raging Crow Distillery is a small-batch, hand-crafted distillery using locally sourced ingredients. They specialize in unique flavours such as Dill Pickle Vodka, Haskap Gin, Honey Liqueur, Blueberry Liqueur and Cajun Chocolate Liqueur. Stop by their retail shop to try their unique and flavourful beverages! You can collect a Good Cheer Trail Stamp here.
- Nook & Cranny Brew Pub: Eat, drink, and enjoy local at Nook & Cranny Brew Pub. Offering a selection of local craft beer and a seasonally inspired menu – its the perfect combination to enjoy with their live entertainment. Stop by their restaurant to taste their popular dishes including their Blueberry Fish and Chips, House-made BBQ Bacon Burger and Cauliflower Tacos. You can collect a Chowder Trail stamp here.
- Cochrane Family Farm: Cochrane Family Farm is a certified organic, family owned and operated, 30 acre farm. They grow hand tended, nutrient dense Heirloom vegetables, herbs and flowers without any chemical inputs. Stop by their retail shop to choose from a selection of vegetables, seeds, herbal teas, culinary spice blends and other herbal products.
- Millen Farms: Millen Farms is a family owned and sustainable farm located in Great Village. The farm includes 150+ acres of strawberries, 600+ acres of wild native low bush blueberries, 25 acres of rutabaga and few acres of onions. You can have their products shipped directly to you or can purchase them at select farmers markets across Nova Scotia.
- Stokdijk Greenhouses: Stokdijk Greenhouses Ltd. is a 65-year-old family-owned agri-business whose mission is to grow the highest quality produce with a tradition of excellence. Their primary crops include European cucumbers, cluster tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers, and mini cucumbers. You can look for Stokdijk products at your local Sobeys and other independent farmers markets.
- Masstown Butcher: Masstown Butcher is a whole animal butchery, with good old-fashioned counter service and knowledgeable staff, featuring custom cuts of locally farmed meats. Stop by their retail shop to browse their selection of meats, kitchenware, sauces and seasonings.
- Masstown Creamery: Masstown Creamery is a complete milk processing facility producing bottled milk, artisan cheese and butter from local dairy farms. Their retail area has a large assortment of local and imported cheeses, along with jams, jellies, crackers, dairy themed gift ideas and more.
- Masstown Market: At Masstown Market choose from a selection of fresh, local foods, including fruits and vegetables, baked goods, delicatessen and gourmet products, a café and dairy bar, an NSLC boutique, unique giftware, and a fully stocked garden centre.
FOOD AND DRINK
- Wild Caraway Restaurant & Cafe: At Wild Caraway, they believe the best meals are made with the food found in our own backyards. They provide guests with affordable, delicious, locally sourced meals served in a uniquely colourful setting overlooking the world-famous tides of the Bay of Fundy. Stop by their restaurant to enjoy lobster, scallops, goose-tongue greens, humanely raised pork and more!