Eat, Drink, And Explore The Bay of Fundy & Annapolis Valley
The Bay of Fundy & Annapolis Valley region of Nova Scotia is an agricultural hub, making it a phenomenal location for a culinary adventure – especially as the harvest season begins. With history, hiking, and lots of food, the Bay of Fundy & Annapolis Valley has lots for you to do – and more importantly, eat!
Follow along with us as we highlight where you can eat, drink, and explore to help you plan your next exciting staycation to this area.
- Founders House Dining & Drinks: Founder’s House Dining & Drinks’ menu changes with the season to showcase the best and freshest of what Nova Scotia has to offer. Enjoy elevated rural dining rooted in sea and soil. You can collect a Lobster Trail and Chowder Trail stamp here.
- Still Fired Distilleries: Visit Still Fired Distilleries retail shop and pick up premium small-batch spirits made from the first “legal” stills built and assembled in Nova Scotia. Their exciting award-winning flavours like Root Beer Moonshine, Thai Chili Vodka, and Bay of Fundy dulse infused Fundy Gin are sure to be an exciting part of your staycation. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Casa Nova Fine Beverages: Casa Nova Fine Beverages is a producer of award-winning wine, ciders and cellos that promote and use fruit from Nova Scotia producers! Some of their products can be found in the NSLC, but many more, produced in small batches, can be found at their farm gate store or in local restaurants and pubs. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Spa Springs Mineral Water Company Ltd.: Spa Springs Mineral Water Company produces a select portfolio of innovative and refreshing non-alcoholic, premium line of beverages that are available worldwide. Canada Geese Mineral Water, 28 ICE TEA and 28 BLACK are available in many retail stores and restaurant locations, as well as directly from Spa Springs Mineral Water Company facility.
- Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa: Digby Pines Golf Resort and Spa offers a refreshing coastal escape for those seeking a quiet retreat to restore spirits. It’s a secluded getaway to rekindle romance or an adventure destination to reconnect as a family. Practice your golf swing while enjoying their amenities. You can collect a Chowder Trail stamp here.
- den Haan Enterprises: Since 1963 this family business has focused on their passion for growing greenhouse tomatoes and cucumbers for the Atlantic Canadian market. Now available year-round, their delicious produce can be purchased throughout Atlantic Canada at many local retailers and farm markets as well as Sobeys and Atlantic Superstore.
- Gidney Fisheries Ltd.: Gidney Fisheries, located in Southwestern Nova Scotia, is a privately held, family-owned lobster company spanning four generations of the Gidney family. Their long term success has been a result of a tradition of hard work, integrity, trust and dedication to quality seafood for their clients.
- Hamilton’s Fish Farm: Hamilton’s Fish Farm is a family-owned business that proudly produces high-quality, hand-raised rainbow trout grown at their 100 per cent land-based aquaculture facility, which, in response to the global demand for environmentally responsible seafood, is designed to minimize environmental impact. Orders are available through their retail partners.
- Valley Flaxflour Ltd.: Valley Flaxflour Ltd.’s all-Canadian, GMO-free ingredients and mixes are processed in an allergen-free facility, free of nuts, wheat, gluten and other common allergens. They include freshly milled flax, gluten-free oats, buckwheat, and corn. Available at Sobeys, Atlantic Superstore and independent retailers.
- Halls Harbour Lobster Pound: Satisfy your seafood cravings at Halls Harbour Lobster Pound. Located in one of the few authentic fishing villages on the Fundy coast, you can choose your lobster from the tank and deliver it to the lobster chef to be prepared in the Bay of Fundy seawater. You can collect a Lobster Trail stamp here.
- The Union Street: The Union Street draws upon an amazing variety of Annapolis Valley ingredients and celebrates the best of local fishermen, artisanal cheese makers, producers, farmers, and musicians.
- Crystany’s Brasserie: Crystany’s Brasserie opened its doors as the first family-owned and 100 per cent certified gluten-free dedicated restaurant in Canada. Serving gourmet meals prepared with local produce, everything on the menu, including the sauces, is made in-house and their menu even has gluten-free beer and gluten-free cocktails.
- Just Us! Coffee Roasters: Founded in 1995, as Canada’s first fair trade coffee roaster, Just Us! Coffee Roasters Co-op is a worker-owned co-op roasting specialty grade, certified fair trade, SPP (Small Producers Symbol) and organic coffee, ensuring the integrity of supply from seed to cup.
- Le Caveau Restaurant at Grand Pre Winery: Le Caveau Restaurant is situated at Domaine de Grand Pré. Chef Jason Lynch specializes in global cuisine with an emphasis on fresh and locally farmed ingredients. You can collect a Chowder Trail stamp here.
- Luckett Vineyards Crush Pad Bistro: Luckett Vineyards Crush Pad Bistro’s open-air dining patio, serves up stunning views and delicious, local food carefully selected to complement their wines. You can collect a Chowder Trail stamp here.
- Paddy’s Pub & Rosies Restaurant: This Irish brewpub and family restaurant features a selection of delicious food including fresh seafood and locally sourced ingredients. With dozens of beer styles on tap, every week is a new adventure. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail, Lobster Trail and Chowder Trail stamp here.
- Go on a Wine Tour: Enjoy a glass of wine from Benjamin Bridge, Blomidon Estate Winery, Gaspereau Vineyards & Vineside Patio, Domaine de Grand Pre, Luckett Vineyards, Lightfoot & Wolfville Vineyards, L’Acadie Vineyards, Mercator Vineyards, or Planters Ridge Winery. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp at all of these locations.
- Beer: For the beer fans, there are lots of options in this area including The Church Brewing Company, Sea Level Brewing, Wayfarers’ Ale, and Paddy’s Pub & Rosies Restaurant. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp at all of these locations.
- Cider: For the apple fans on your vacation experience delicious, local Annapolis Valley apples featured in several different styles of cider at Wolfville’s Annapolis Cider Company or Kentville’s Maritime Express Cider Co. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp at both of these locations.
- Spirits: For the more spirited vacationer, make sure to stop by Barrelling Tide Distillery in Port Williams. Their craft spirits include vodka, gin, chili pepper vodka and rums, including their 5 Fathom Dark Rum. Their fruit liqueurs come from Annapolis valley fruits and include cherry, cranberry, blueberry and raspberry. Their coffee liqueur is a must-try! You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Stay at The Blomidon Inn: A beautiful setting in a restored Sea Captain’s Mansion, the Blomidon Inn boasts multiple dining rooms, grand sitting rooms and a large exterior terrace for the summer season. It’s a great spot to enjoy a local beer or regionally inspired cocktail. The inn also features a wide range of uniquely and individually furnished accommodations.
- Stay at The Old Orchard Inn & Spa: Old Orchard Inn Resort and Spa strives to recognize and meet the needs of all guests whether their purpose is a romantic getaway, winter or summer vacations, bus tours, business travel or corporate conventions in Atlantic Canada. This family-owned Nova Scotia hotel for 45 years proudly offers a variety of accommodations with the overall emphasis on guest comfort, convenience and special needs.
- U-picks: Experience the full bounty of the Annapolis Valley’s agriculture at the u-picks at Noggins Corner Farm Market and Stirling Fruit Farms Ltd. in Greenwich.
- Tangled Garden: Tangled Garden is both a garden of delight and a working herb and fruit farm. Fresh herbs are picked to make delicious jams and jellies; mustards, honeys, chutneys, vinegars and liqueurs. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Nova Coffee: Family-owned since 1973, Nova Coffee produces great specialty roasted coffees on their hobby farm. From Tucker’s Twist to Bella Sera and their best-selling Black Dog Espresso, they have you covered. You can find their coffee at many independent cafes and dining rooms, through their online store or by dropping by their location in Lakeville.
- Petite Patrie Chocolate: Since 2017, chocolate makers and certified tasters Gabrielle Breault and Peter Austin-Smith have seen growing enthusiasm for their stone-ground chocolate bars throughout Nova Scotia and beyond. Their award-winning dark chocolate bars are sublime, as are their Maple White chocolate, Goat Milk chocolate with hazelnuts, and their popular dairy and sugar-free Coconut Milk Bar!
- Sable Shortbread Company: Sable Shortbread Company makes amazing gourmet shortbread cookies, by hand, in small batches, the artisanal way. They never add any artificial colours or flavours to their cookies. From the classic to the contemporary, their flavours like Meyer Lemon, Margarita and Tiramisu will delight your taste buds.
- Market stores: Shop for locally grown produce, meats and artisinal products at stores like Meadowbrook Farm Meat Market, Fox Hill Cheese House, and Scotian Gold Country Store.
- Look for the label at home: Make sure to look for the Agri-Growers Ltd., Randsland Farms and Country Magic, brands when shopping for groceries at home. These are producers from this region that you can find in your local grocery store!
Avon River/Windsor Area
- The Flying Apron Inn & Cookery: The menu at The Flying Apron changes weekly to feature the freshest, local, sustainable ingredients with a curated drink menu showcasing Nova Scotia’s local wine, cider and craft beer. You can even turn your visit into a culinary getaway by staying in their beautiful five-room Inn. You can collect a Chowder Trail stamp here.
- WINEGRUNT: WINEGRUNT is a wine bar that offers the a broad assortment of Nova Scotia wines. You’ll also find local beers and ciders to round out the experience.
- Avondale Sky Winery: Hungry? Dine on this winery’s patio overlooking the vines and indulge in locally-sourced cuisine that highlights the very best of what’s in season. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Meander River Farm & Brewery: Nestled beside the twisting river it’s named after, Meander River Farm & Brewery provides an agritourism experience like no other. The farm produces seasonal brews and ciders, and handmade products from farm resources. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Schoolhouse Brewery: Located along the waterfront at the heart of downtown Windsor, Schoolhouse Brewery showcases their array of quality craft brews in a cheery, school-themed taproom. The “Classroom Taproom” offers a full experience where you can enjoy a pint alongside something from the kitchen, try a sample flight of all their brews or browse the unique merchandise in the Brewtique. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Sainte-Famille Wines: Sainte-Famille has been crafting award-winning wines from the warmth and beauty of their estate vineyard for over 25 years. Their wines celebrate the coastal terroir that has been coaxed from the earth, the sun, and the very vines that anchor them in scenic Falmouth. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Avondale Sky Winery: Located on one of the oldest vineyards in the province, Avondale Sky invites you to experience their tranquil sanctuary. Enjoy a guided tour of their vineyard and learn how they harvest every grape by hand. Step inside “the church that walked on water” to taste award-winning wines. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- ONTREE: Ontree Fun and Adventure Park offers excitement and physical challenges for able climbers beginning at the age of 5. They are “Canada’s largest high ropes challenges park” and provide a variety of high rope courses, climbing walls, Tarzan swings, ziplines and more than 180 different obstacles among the trees of Martock.
- Dr. Kombu Brewing Company: Dr. Kombu Brewing Company produces Sòlas Kombucha in their HACCP certified brewery, from brewing and fermentation to bottling and shipping. Their varieties use spices, herbs, and local no-spray fruits. Find Sòlas Kombucha at various independent retailers and farm markets in the province.
Truro & Area
- Bistro 22: Bistro 22 offers an upscale-casual dining experience. Their lunch menu features a variety of bistro dishes and their dinner menu offers classic-inspired meals from land and sea. You can collect a Chowder Trail stamp here.
- Nook & Cranny Brew Pub: With a large patio, live entertainment, and 25 beer on tap, the Nook and Cranny is the place to eat, drink and enjoy local! You can collect a Chowder Trail stamp here.
- Coldstream Clear Distillery: Deep family history and an adventurous modern-day endeavor brings you Coldstream Clear Distillery. Their range of products include top quality vodkas, rums, liqueurs, vodka soda and gin soda in a can, as well as iced tea made with real brewed tea. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail stamp here.
- Raging Crow Distillery: Raging Crow Distillery is a small-batch, hand-crafted distillery using locally sourced ingredients. They specialize in producing unique flavours such as Dill Pickle Vodka (which is fabulous in a Caesar), Haskap Gin, Honey Liqueur, Blueberry Liqueur and their unique Cajun Chocolate Liqueur. You can collect a Good Cheer Trail Stamp here.
- Masstown Market: Masstown Market is a national award-winning, family-owned business celebrating 50 years of excellence in specialty food, gift and garden retailing. The Market has built its reputation around great service and fresh, local foods, including fruits and vegetables, baked goods, delicatessen and gourmet products, a café and dairy bar, an NSLC boutique, unique giftware and fully stocked garden centre. You can collect a Lobster Trail and Chowder Trail stamp here.
- Masstown Creamery Masstown Creamery is a complete milk processing facility producing bottled milk, artisan cheese and butter. The retail area has a large assortment of local and imported cheeses, along with jams, jellies, crackers, dairy themed gift ideas and more. Masstown Creamery’s cheesemongers can help you chose the right cheese pairing for any occasion.
- Masstown Butcher: Masstown Butcher is a whole animal butchery, with good old-fashioned counter service and knowledgeable staff, featuring custom cuts of locally farmed meats. Check out the hot case for chef-inspired meals, prepared using fresh local ingredients and browse the displays of unique kitchenware, sauces and seasonings.
- Cochrane Family Farm: Cochrane Family Farm is a Certified organic, family-owned and operated, 30-acre farm. They grow hand tended, nutrient-dense Heirloom vegetables, herbs and flowers without any chemical inputs following a permaculture methodology. At their storefront you can purchase their vegetables, seeds, herbal teas, culinary spice blends and other herbal products.
- Stokdijk Greenhouses Ltd.: Stokdijk Greenhouses, Ltd. strives to grow the highest quality produce with a tradition of excellence. Get to know their 60+ year old family-owned and operated agri-business by exploring their website. Find their products at your local Sobeys and independent retailers.
- Millen Farms: Millen Farms is a family-owned sustainable farm that has been in operation for more than 40 years. It includes 150+ acres of strawberries, 600+ acres of wild native low bush blueberries, 25 acres of rutabaga and few acres of onions. Find their products at Sobeys and several independent retailers.
- Kittilsen’s Honey: Kittilsen’s Honey Ltd. is one of the largest beekeeping operations with a federally inspected honey packing facility. The colonies are located on over 50 different bee yard locations across central Nova Scotia and produce liquid honey and beeswax candles. Find their products at your local Sobeys, Superstore and several independent retailers across the province.
Advocate Harbour/Cape Chignecto Area
- Wild Caraway Restaurant & Cafe: Lobster, scallops, humanely raised pork, as well as garden vegetables and herbs, travel the short distance from their backyard, or the harbour across the street, to your plate. They provide guests with affordable, delicious, locally sourced meals served in a uniquely colourful setting overlooking the world-famous tides of the Bay of Fundy.
- The Lighthouse at Cape d’Or: Order a local beverage and watch the sunset at the Cape d’Or Lighthouse.
- Advocate Boat Tours: Advocate Boat Tours is the only boat tour operator on the upper Bay of Fundy with the world’s highest tides. Step on board for an unforgettable adventure to the most dramatic places of this unique bay.
- Economy Falls Hike: Economy Falls trail is a favourite of locals and visitors alike. Economy Falls is renowned for its beauty and geology. Some of the oldest rocks in Nova Scotia can be found here.
- Oxford Frozen Foods: In 1968, Oxford Frozen Foods was a small company with plans to make this delicious fruit the natural pick of consumers around the world. They’ve grown to be much more than the world’s largest provider of Wild Blueberries; they are also one of North America’s largest producers of premium, frozen carrots.