What’s Cooking in Nova Scotia July 7 to 21?
July is all about strawberries, fresh veggies, wine and lobster! From farmers’ market spoils and homemade ice cream, to listening to Blues in a vineyard, here’s what’s cooking in Nova Scotia this week:
Join in the lobster fun at Rudder’s Seafood Restaurant and Brew Pub. Climb aboard a lobster boat in Yarmouth to learn all about our favourite crustacean.
Set sail on the Tall Ship Silva for Wines on the Water hosted by the folks at Luckett Vineyards. Enjoy a five-course feast paired with local wines and a two-hour tour of the Halifax Harbour – a deliciously romantic treat.
Swirl, smell and sip – this Thursday learn the tricks of the trade by taking part in a Nova Scotia Wine Education Session taught by the talented team at Gaspereau Vineyards.
July 9 – 12
In celebration of the Strawberry Harvest, have a berry sweet time this weekend with Masstown Market at their Strawberry Festival & Berry Bonanza.
This Saturday take a drive to the Hubbards Barn Farmers’ Market. Pick up some freshly made bread from the folks at Boulangerie la Vendéenne, or head over and talk spirits with the team at Ironworks Distillery and try their Rhubarb Esprit.
Strawberry shortcake, no matter how you make it, is one of the best parts of summer. Enjoy this delicious treat at the Rose and Kettle Tearoom’s Strawberry Social.
Une Soirée de Poésie Française at Planters Ridge Winery – spend the evening enjoying delicious wine and the beauty of a French poetry reading.
She’s invited, he’s invited, we’re all invited to The Coast Food Truck Party. Visit our friends at Kitchen Door Catering for yummy eats, then visit the team at Garrison for some #ThirstyThursday suds.
Roll up your sleeves and get ready for a vineyard and winery experience tour at Avondale Sky Winery. Learn the process, sample the wine, and then get hands on in the vineyard – thinning, tucking and positioning vines.
Kick-up your heels at Luckett Vineyards Blues on the Hill event. Start the night dancing then relax on the patio with a glass of wine or beer and feast on a delicious meal.
Not sure what to do this weekend? Why not take a walk along the waterfront and enjoy a delicious hand paddled ice cream creation from Sugah! Or head over to the Seaport Farmers’ Market for a dish of creamy gelato from Fox Hill Cheese House.
On-going events to watch for:
- June – September: Visit Gaspereau Vineyards Saturdays from June 27 to September 5 for musical entertainment, wine and snacks on their vine-side patio.
- June – September: The folks at Rudder’s Seafood Restaurant and Brew Pub want to teach you all about lobster. Learn the tricks of the trade from local fishers atop a real lobster fishing boat every Tuesday from June 30 to September 15.
- June – October: Head down to L’Acadie Vineyards on Saturdays from 1pm-5pm for an exciting culinary Food Truck experience, and while you’re there enjoy a glass of their 2014 organic Rosé.
- July – August: Set sail each Wednesday this summer with Luckett Vineyards and Tall Ship Silva for their Wine on the Water event. Feast on a five-course meal while you enjoy local wines and a two hour tour of the harbour.
- July – August: Enjoy live music, martinis, mojitos, and tapas on the outdoor patio at Domaine de Grand Pré every Thursday from July 2 to August 27.
- July – October: Join Grape Escapes Wine Tours on select Saturdays from July to October for an exclusive tour at Benjamin Bridge and a two course gourmet lunch at Blomidon Inn. Tickets are $129 per person.
- All summer long: Pizza, sandwiches and more – Experience it all at Scanway Bakery & Café with their summer rooftop patio menu.
Save the Date:
- July 18: Jost Vineyards is having a Summer Festival. Have fun at the vineyard from 12-5.
- July 25, August 15 and September 12, 2015: The Flying Apron Inn & Cookery – dining on the Ocean Floor. Only three more dates available so book your spot now. $250+HST per person or $475+HST per couple.
- August 7 & 8, 2015: The Halifax Seaport BeerFest returns for its ninth annual “Beer on the Pier” at the Cunard Center. Get your tickets at select NSLC stores or online.
- August 20 and September 17, 2015: The Coast is proud to bring you another summer of food truck fare with their Food Truck Party. Admission is $2.
- September 23-26, 2015: Tickets for the NSLC Port of Wines Festival go on sale August 7 – Don’t miss out on this great event.