What’s Cooking: February 11 – 18
February 11 already?! This week’s blog highlights current events, releases, specials, getaways, and more around the province. We’ve also included a delicious Creamy Shellfish Linguine recipe, just in time for Valentine’s Day!
Sugar Moon Farm
Earltown’s Sugar Moon Farm is a beautiful destination at any time of the year, but the snow makes it even more special. Although they’re currently not open for dine in, they’re offering contactless takeout and shopping, drop ins for sugar-on-snow, and snowshoes rentals for exploring the many nearby trails.
The perfect destination for a day trip with friends and family, visit Sugar Moon to experience all of the great things they have to offer!
Propeller Brewing Company
Propeller Brewery has launched their new S’mores Imperial Dessert Stout! With roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla beans, and lactose, this brew will conjure memories of nights around the campfire sharing stories and trying for the perfectly-toasted marshmallow.
Find this special brew at Bishops Cellar, WestSide Beer Wine Spirits, RockHead Wine & Beer Market, Harvest Wines & Spirits, or place an online order for home delivery.
Delectable Desserts and Change is Brewing Co. Collaboration
For the entire month of February, Delectable Desserts is offering ‘Black Futures Cakes’! They’ve partnered with Change is Brewing Co. to bring you four different treats that each pay homage to the four collaboration beverages they released in 2020. The four cakes are; ‘Blackberry Freedom’ a blackberry and milk chocolate mousse cake, ‘Cherry Brook Wheat’, a cherry and almond buttercream cake, ‘Good News’, a raspberry mango cheesecake, and ‘Forest Glory’, a cranberry apple caramel cheesecake.
These delectable mini cakes come in boxes of four, so you can try every flavour, or you can pick your favourite and get one full sized cake! All profits will be donated to projects supporting youth and community.
2021 Canadian Artisan Spirit Competition
Grain-to-glass distillery Compass Distillers took home several medals including Best in Class Contemporary Gin for their Gin Royal. They also received two silver medals and five bronze medals at this year’s competition.
Raging Crow Distillery took home six medals in the recent Artisan Distillers Canada Spirit Competition. These awards included a gold medal, with their Spruce Tip Gin winning Best in Class, with Distinction, along with four silvers, and one bronze medal. This is a wonderful accomplishment for the young distillery, and a reflection of their hard work to deliver products of the highest quality.
Ironworks Distillery also took part in this year’s competition. They finished with a very positive outcome, with their vodka and Heart Iron whiskey winning gold, their Hunter Brandy winning silver, and their Gin Noir claiming bronze.
A full list of award winners from this year’s competition can be found on the website.
Valentine’s Day Overview
- Salt Shaker Deli will be offering a special menu for the Valentine’s Day weekend, call 902-640-3434 to book your reservation now!
- Bulwark Cider’s Valentine’s Day collection is the perfect gift to share with a loved one! Choose from four gift sets: Sparkling Sips, Valentine’s Rosè, Valentine’s Cider Selection, or Desired Dessert. All are filled with delicious selections of cider and treats – visit their website or Cider House to get yours!
- Book a two-night getaway at Old Orchard Inn this Valentine’s Day and enjoy a special menu for dinner, there’s no better way to show someone you care! Visit their website to book your stay.
- Petite Patrie Chocolate and Petite Riviere Vineyards have teamed up just in time for Valentine’s Day to bring you this decadent creation, yum!
- Petite Riviere is collaborating with Lunenburg Rum Cakes to host a Valentine’s Wine and Chocolate event! On February 13th and 14th enjoy five different chocolates and wines, including their new Chocolate Fortified Wine! They’re also hosting a Valentine’s Dinner and Wine pairing on February 12th if that’s more up your alley.
- Crystany’s Brasserie has prepared a delicious three-course meal for dine in and takeout this Valentine’s Day. If you’re planning to dine in, you’ll get to enjoy live music along with a delicious meal with your loved one. Brunch will be available on Valentine’s Day from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.To reserve a table, email email@example.com!
- Le Caveau is offering Valentine’s dinner take out, with a limited release of their famous chicken liver mousse available. They are currently accepting online orders.
- Rebecca’s Restaurant has released their special Valentine’s Day menu, which features two delicious appetizers, and main courses from the land, earth, and sea. This menu is being offered on February 13th and 14th. Reservations are required.
- For Valentine’s Day, Lane’s Privateer Inn is offering a two-night stay at a discounted price, so you can spend the weekend relaxing with your loved one! Their dining room is offering a dinner feature on February 14, with a delicious white wine lobster linguine, and some Valentine’s Day inspired beverages.
- The Church Brewing Co. is offering a culinary Valentine’s Day around the world! Choose a destination and enjoy a variety of courses plus a sharing plate. This includes two beer tasters, one cocktail, and a dessert each. Book your table by calling 902-542-2337, and don’t delay as seats will go quickly!
- If you’re planning to stay in for Valentine’s Day, Obladee Wine Bar has delicious packages and gift boxes for you! They’re offering pick-up until Saturday, and delivery is being offered on Saturday.
- Lake City Cider has fantastic Valentine’s Day bundles available! They include a bottle of their Perry & Rose, Darkside Rosé, a Lake City glass, and a candle from The Lighters Candle Company. Bundles are available online for delivery.
Kitchen Door Valentine’s Take Out
Kitchen Door is letting you have a relaxing evening in with their four-course Valentine’s Dinner to go! Order online through their website. What’s better than wine and chocolate? How about wine flavoured chocolate!
Winegrunt’s Valentine’s Week
Winegrunt isn’t only celebrating Valentine’s Day, they’ve put together a “Valentine’s Week”, with four days of specials! Beginning on Thursday, February 11, with ‘Three Course Thursday’, followed by ‘That Friday Feeling’, with a ‘Fabulous Five-ounce Fizzy Friday Feature’ pairing, then it’s ‘Jazzy Saturday’, and ‘Busking Brunch Sunday’!
This will be a fun and tasty week, so contact Winegrunt to make your reservation!
Dine Around 2021
Halifax’s tastiest month of the year is back! Dine Around 2021 promises to be spicier, juicier, and more delicious than ever! From February 1 – 28, savour special menus from your favourite Halifax restaurants, priced $10 – $50. This year restaurants are offering dine in, take out, and delivery options, so it’s easier than ever to #supportlocalsafely! For more information, visit www.dinearoundhfx.com.
Featured Recipe: Creamy Tarragon Shellfish Linguine
Creamy pasta and sauce meet fresh, local seafood in this decadent and hearty dish. Perfect to make on Valentine’s Day or for dinner any night of the week, one thing is certain, this rich recipe will not disappoint!
Find local white wine from one of Nova Scotia’s wineries Avondale Sky Winery, Benjamin Bridge, Blomidon Estate Winery, Gaspereau Vineyards, Grand Pre Wines, Jost Vineyards, L’Acadie Vineyards, Lightfoot & Wolfville, Luckett Vineyards, Mercator Vineyards, Petite Riviere Vineyards, Planters Ridge Winery, Sainte-Famille Wines, Casa Nova Fine Beverages.