What’s Cooking: September 15 – 21
This week is filled with markets as well as upcoming events you’ll want to grab your tickets for now! Keep reading to find out what’s cooking.
Bulwark Cider is releasing their new Blood Orange Cranberry cider with a launch party on Friday, September 16 from 2 – 4 p.m. Join them at the Cider House in Halifax for an afternoon full of tastings, food, gifts and much more! Make sure to bring your furry pet for treats and fun!
Nova Scotia Craft Beer Festival
Mark your calendars! There’s still time to grab your tickets for the Nova Scotia Craft Beer Festival, taking place this Friday and Saturday (September 16 and 17). Say hello to more than 40 Nova Scotia craft breweries on the Halifax waterfront, pick up your take home sample glass and enjoy a plethora of Nova Scotia crafted brews.
Nova Scotia Culinary Trails & Taste of Nova Scotia App
Looking for staycation ideas? Lucky for you, the Nova Scotia Lobster, Chowder, & Good Cheer Trails have you covered! Whether you’re tapping into local craft beverages, cracking open a freshly caught lobster, or diving into a bowl of seafood chowder – there’s something on the trails that will satisfy all your cravings. Make sure to download the Taste of Nova Scotia mobile app to make it easier than ever to collect stamps!
Save the date:
- September 22: The next Wine Makers dinner at Founders House Dining & Drinks is taking place on September 22. Enjoy four thoughtfully curated courses paired with wines from Planters Ridge.
- September 23 & 24: The Halifax Oyster Festival returns to the Halifax Waterfront next weekend to delight those new to oysters and oyster fans alike.
- September 23 – October 2: Join Garrison Brewing at The Waterfront Beer Garden for an Oktoberfest celebration featuring incredible craft beer, German food features, live music, games, and more!
- September 24: Join our friends at the Cole Harbour Heritage Farm from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. for Farm Fest 2022. Delicious food and drinks will be available for purchase from the Rose & Kettle Tearoom and a farmyard concert will take place from 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Tickets for the evening portion of the event are $15 and are available via their online shop.
- September 24: Join Planters Ridge for their annual Devour! Dinner & Short Film Screening at the winery from 7:00 – 10:00 p.m. Enjoy a night at the movies and dinner curated by acclaimed Chef Michael Howell , Founder and Executive Director of Devour!. He will be creating 5 courses inspired by short films that will be viewed and are selected by the Managing Director of Devour!, Lia Rinaldo . Each course will be thoughtfully paired with our exquisite wines to create a unique and creative experience unlike any other.
- October 2: Mark your calendars for the fourth annual Beyond Terroir event hosted by Benjamin Bridge, in allyship with Glooscap First Nation. The event will feature three food stations with Mi’kmaq knowledge holders at each, who will speak on various topics around this year’s theme: land first. Guests will be guided through the vineyard where they will experience thoughtful food and drink pairings prepared with ingredients from the vineyard’s garden and local producers.
Featured Recipe: Bulwark Original Cider Braised Pork Loin
If you’re in the mood for a tender, juicy and delicious meal—then this is the recipe for you. This recipe uses Bulwark cider and apple cider vinegar to marinate the roast until perfection. Apples, local honey and cranberries are used to create the tasty chutney.
Local Source Guide:
Local apples/produce: Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms, Masstown Market, Scotian Gold Country Store or any Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
Pork: Visit the Pork Shop, Meadowbrook Meat Market’s or the Masstown Butcher for a variety of pork products.