Top 10 Local Valentine’s Gift Ideas
Whether you have been married for 20 years or have only been on a few dates, sometimes picking the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for your sweetheart can be a daunting task. Here at Taste of Nova Scotia, we’re taking some of the stress off your Valentine’s Day planning with our list of local gift ideas. Now all you have to do is choose!
1. Chocolate. You really can’t go wrong with chocolate on Valentine’s Day. Our members produce only the finest quality of chocolate and you can be rest assured your gift will be well-received. We suggest picking up some handmade fudge from Sweet Spot Chocolate shop, Gaspereau Icewine truffles from Gourmandises Avenue Chocolaterie, or chewy salted caramel chocolates from The Backdoor Bakeshop. In a long distance relationship? Mail your significant other some chocolate from Sugah!.
2. Romantic Gesture. Why not make your sweetie breakfast in bed this Valentine’s Day? We suggest Valley Flaxflour pancakes drizzled with maple syrup from Acadian Maple or Sugarmoon Farm. No sweet tooth? No problem. Make a delicious brunch spread of Foxhill Cheeses, Made with Local bars, Boulangerie fresh bread (topped with Tangled Garden jam) and a wild blueberry smoothie.
3. Coffee. Do you know a coffee connoisseur? Give them a gift they will love from Just Us!, Nova Coffee, or Full Steam Coffee. Brew it fresh on Saturday morning and let the aroma fill your whole house.
4. A Night out. Take your lover or friends out for a night of delicious wining and dining. Check out our list of restaurants that have special Valentine’s Day menus and events.
5. A Night In. Show off your cooking skills by creating a beautiful dinner at home. Try one of our chef-inspired recipes, featuring local ingredients! Start your evening with a Kale, Brussels Spouts & Cranberry salad. For an entree, we think that Trellis Cafe’s Lobster Ravioli is an excellent choice. Finish with a Chanterelle Country Inn Blueberry Pie, or try your hand at English Sticky Toffee Pudding.
6. An Experience. Give someone the gift of a new experience and take them on a tasting tour of a winery, brewery or distillery. Not into wine, beer or spirits? Give them a foodie experience with a gift card to a Taste of Nova Scotia restaurant you know they will love.
7. Seafood. What better way to say I love you than with excellent seafood? Head to Clearwater, Louisbourg Seafoods Ltd., NovaCan Live Seafoods Ltd., Victoria Co-Op Fisheries Ltd. or Fisherman’s Market to pick up the daily catch and then get cooking! There are tons of recipes on our blog that incorporate seafood in interesting ways (like this mussel martini).
8. Wine or Cocktails. Who doesn’t love a glass of wine? We think a rosy glass of Nova 7 from Benjamin Bridge is perfect for celebrating with your loved ones. For a red wine, try Luckett Vineyards Phone Box Red. A sparkling wine from L’Acadie Vineyards, Grand Pre Wines or Blomidon Estate Winery is always a good addition to any celebration. If cocktails are more your style? Why not try The Rosy Acadian, featuring Haskap juice and Ironworks Vodka.
9. Tickets. There are tons of great culinary events happening all over Nova Scotia this winter. Pick up a pair of tickets for the Nova Scotia Icewine Festival, Savour Food and Wine Festival, or the Jost Vineyards Winter Wine Festival.
10. Taste of Nova Scotia Gift Basket. Can’t narrow it down to just one gift? How about a Taste of Nova Scotia gift basket filled with sample and full-size local products from some of our amazing Taste of Nova Scotia members.