What’s Cooking: February 4 – 11
February is already moving along quickly! Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and there are specials to look forward to, new product releases, events, and exciting projects brewing. Continue reading for this week’s exciting highlights from around the province, as well as the ultimate comfort food recipe to make on a chilly February day – poutine!
Maritime Express Cider Company
New cider alert! Maritime Express Cider Co. has released their newest cider in their Storm Cider series, the Hurricane Teddy semi-dry cider. Hurricane Teddy hit Nova Scotia on September 23, 2020, as a post-tropical storm, causing a few unlucky apple farms in the Annapolis Valley to lose their apples. This cider was made for those salvaged apples.
Hurricane Teddy is a smooth and bubbly cider. It has hints of fresh apple, white cranberry, kiwi, and delicate aromas of pear and green apple. Be sure to give it a try!
La Cuisine Robicheau reopening
Mark your calendars! La Cuisine Robicheau will be opening on Friday, February 12 and will be open every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. Make sure to stop by for delicious seafood dishes, comforting bowls of seafood chowder, Rappie Pie and more.
Chill Street Craft Beverage Co.
Chill Street Co. is offering an exciting bundle for all your Super Bowl Sunday needs! This bundle includes a pizza coupon, eight Chill Street Flavoured Lifestyle Ciders, four Chill Street Wine-Cider Blends, four Chill Street Non-Alcoholic Craft Sodas, and a variety of snacks!
Don’t forget to place your order before Super Bowl Sunday because this special is selling fast!
Meadowbrook Meat Market
Calling all bacon lovers! Meadowbrook Meat Market is offering a ‘Bacon Lovers Box’, which makes a great and unique Valentine’s Day gift! Each box comes with eight delicious types of bacon, including Montreal spice, maple, and peameal, and a surprise from a local vendor. Boxes are $50, and home delivery is available. Get yours before they’re gone!
Boxing Rock Brewing Co.
Boxing Rock, Change is Brewing Collective, and the Black Loyalist Heritage Centre have teamed up to bring a historical brew at the end of February. Stay tuned and follow @changeisbrewingco to keep up with all the details!
Valentine’s Day Specials
- Salt Shaker Deli will be offering a special menu for the Valentine’s Day weekend, call 902-640-3434 to book your reservation now!
- Bulwark Cider’s Valentine’s Day collection is the perfect gift to share with a loved one! Choose from four gift sets: Sparkling Sips, Valentine’s Rosè, Valentine’s Cider Selection, or Desired Dessert. All are filled with delicious selections of cider and treats – visit their website or Cider House to get yours!
- Book a two-night getaway at Old Orchard Inn this Valentine’s Day and enjoy a special menu for dinner, there’s no better way to show someone you care! Visit their website to book your stay.
- Kitchen Door is letting you have a relaxing evening in with their four-course Valentine’s Dinner to go! Order online through their website.
- What’s better than wine and chocolate? How about wine flavoured chocolate! Petite Patrie Chocolate and Petite Riviere Vineyards have teamed up just in time for Valentine’s Day to bring you this decadent creation, yum!
- Crystany’s Brasserie has prepared a delicious three-course meal for dine-in or take out this Valentine’s Day. If you’re looking to reserve a table, email firstname.lastname@example.org to book now. (There will be live music too – how romantic!)
- Petite Riviere is collaborating with Lunenburg Rum Cakes to host a Valentine’s Wine and Chocolate event! On February 13th and 14th enjoy five different chocolates and wines, including their new Chocolate Fortified Wine! They’re also hosting a Valentine’s Dinner and Wine pairing on February 12th if that’s more up your alley.
- Le Caveau is offering Valentine’s dinner take out, with a limited release of their famous chicken liver mousse available. They are currently accepting online orders.
- Rebecca’s Restaurant has released their special Valentine’s Day menu, which features two delicious appetizers, and main courses from the land, earth, and sea. This menu is being offered on February 13th and 14th. Reservations are required.
- For Valentine’s Day, Lane’s Privateer Inn is offering a two-night stay at a discounted price, so you can spend the weekend relaxing with your loved one! Their dining room is offering a dinner feature on February 14, with a delicious white wine lobster linguine, and some Valentine’s Day inspired beverages.
Weekly Sober Island Brewing Co. Trivia and Wing Nights
On February 4, Sober Island Brewing Co. is hosting their popular trivia night, followed by wing night on February 5. Can’t make it this week? Don’t worry because these are weekly events!
Reservations are required for wing nights. Call the taproom (902) 885-2072 to reserve a table.
Dine Around 2021
Halifax’s tastiest month of the year is back! Dine Around 2021 promises to be spicier, juicier, and more delicious than ever! From February 1 – 28, savour special menus from your favourite Halifax restaurants, priced 10 – $50. This year restaurants are offering dine in, take out, and delivery options, so it’s easier than ever to #supportlocalsafely! For more information, visit www.dinearoundhfx.com.
Featured Recipe: Poutine
Perfect for a chilly day at home, this version of a Canadian classic is made with mushroom gravy, baked fries and cheese curds. Put it in a large dish to share, or have it all to yourself if you’re feeling extra hungry!