Guide to Get Your Hands on Local at Superstore
Interested in learning about how to buy locally in your Atlantic Superstore? We’ve identified Taste member products so that you can use this guide to fill your cart full of groceries that support local producers around the province.
Look for the Taste of Nova Scotia logo where you eat, drink and shop to easily find products that are harvested, grown, and produced right here in Nova Scotia! From our land. From our sea. From our hands. There are SO many ways to Get Your HANDS on local!
In Nova Scotia, you can find an abundance of freshly harvested produce available all year long. At your Atlantic Superstore, you’ll find several Taste member products available for purchase.
- Agri-Growers harvests a wide range of fresh vegetables and fruits out of Nova Scotia’s Annapolis Valley. Find their yellow and red onions, grape tomatoes and strawberries on the produce shelves at Superstore
- Country Magic‘s primary crops include highbush blueberries, onions, potatoes, strawberries and blackberries that are available at Superstore (during their appropriate season) to ensure you get a taste of Nova Scotian fresh produce.
- DeHaan Greenhouses produces greenhouse cucumbers and tomatoes, adding the perfect crunch to your salad or sandwich.
- Oxford Frozen Foods is the world’s largest supplier of frozen Wild Blueberries and provides them all year round. You’ll be eating blueberries from the blueberry capital of Canada! Find bags of their frozen wild blueberries in the freezer section of the grocery store.
- Scotian Gold is Atlantic Canada’s largest apple producer, growing an array of Nova Scotian snacking and baking apples including Paula Red, Sweet Tango, Gravenstein and more.
Meat & Seafood
Local farmers and fishers are an important part of our Nova Scotian culinary experience. Check out our list of the producers of Nova Scotia meat and seafood products that you’ll find on your next trip to Superstore.
- Cedar Bay Grilling Company‘s gourmet Atlantic Cedar Planked Salmon in Applewood flavour is a must on your seafood grocery list.
- Comeau Sea Foods has been a pillar in the Canadian seafood industry for more than 70 years producing seafood products including frozen herring fillets, scallops and herring roe. Their product lines also include bacon-wrapped scallops, shrimp and lobster spreads and more. You’ll find the majority of their products in the seafood freezer section at Superstore.
- J. Willy Krauch & Sons have developed a reputation for producing delicious smoked Atlantic fish since 1956. Find their cold-smoked salmon packed fresh and ready for your charcuterie, lox sandwich or Eggs Benedict recipe.
- Tony’s Meats & “The Original” Mr. Donair offers donair meat and sauce and various other pork products at your local Sobeys.
Never underestimate the joy of a cup of local coffee – Nova Scotian coffee roasters have your local coffee cravings covered.
- Authentic Seacoast Company hand roasts their Full Steam Coffee in small batches. Every bag is certified organic, fair trade and Kosher, ensuring that you receive the best beans farmed by folks who receive a fair wage.
- Just Us! Coffee Roasters Co-op offers specialty grade, certified fair trade, SPP (Small Producers Symbol), organic coffee.
- Laughing Whale Coffee Roasters produces sustainable, ethical, and delicious coffee that will have you “laughing” in no time.
Pantry & Snack Items
Fill your pantry with local products by looking for the Taste of Nova Scotia logo on these pantry staples and snack items.
- Acadian Maple makes 100 per cent pure Nova Scotia maple syrup and maple butter that you MUST try on your pancakes.
- Made with Local brings together the yummiest ingredients to create Real Food Bars and Loaded Oats instant oatmeal to ensure your snacks have local love.
- Valley Flaxflour Ltd. uses all Canadian, GMO-free ingredients in their breakfast cereal, all-purpose flour, pancake and cookie mix, whole oats, oatmeal that can each be found at Superstore.
- Cornect Family Farm has been keeping bees for more than 24 years. Their liquid and creamed honey is now available at both the Antigonish and the Port Hawkesbury Superstores.
Have you discovered a new local product? Tried something new? We would love to hear from you! Use #GetYourHandsOnLocal to share your local story on social!
We believe in connecting over food and drink! Make sure to tag us on your culinary adventures and subscribe to our Taste of Nova Scotia newsletter for more news and culinary info.
@TasteofNS | #TasteofNS