Blueberry Season Guide
Blueberry season is a special time in Nova Scotia! Whether you enjoy them for a snack, with a meal or as a delicious dessert – there’s no denying this key agriculture product is berry versatile. Keep reading for a list of recipes, products, and where to get your hands on local blueberries, to help you get your fix this blueberry season!
Berry Sweet Recipes
Nova Scotia Wild Blueberry Crisp: Blueberry season has arrived and this recipe is a great way to kickstart the season. Using local Nova Scotia blueberries, this dessert is a timeless classic that can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike!
Nova Scotia Blueberry Grunt: What could be more Nova Scotian than this delicious Blueberry Grunt? This stove-top dessert brings out the full flavour our wild blueberries have to offer. Serve with a generous helping of ice cream and you’ll be wishing for seconds.
Blueberry Honey Cake with Bluenose Rum Sauce: Each bite of this warm, sweet dish will bring you home to Nova Scotia! Whether it’s a family staple or a local restaurant go-to, warm blueberry cake with a rum sauce is a local favourite.
Blueberry, Bacon and Quark Tart: A savoury dessert or a main dish, you decide! The combination of creamy cheese, salty bacon and herbs highlight our Nova Scotia blueberries beautifully. Balancing sweet and savory, this dish is guaranteed to please any palate.
Maple Blueberry Pork Loin Roast: Who said blueberries couldn’t be savoury? This pork loin rib roast combines notes of warm spice, with whole cloves and Nova Scotia maple syrup mixed with blueberry juice for a sticky glaze. It’s the perfect addition to any family feast!
Atlantic Salmon with a Wild Blueberry Chutney: Seafood and wild blueberries are a staple here in Nova Scotia. This recipe by The Kilted Chef combines these classic favourites into a delicious dish.
Blueberry Chia Flax & Oat Squares: These blueberry delights are made with Nova Scotian honey and blueberries, presenting a local and healthy option for snacking this summer. Take them to the office, the beach or share them with friends – they’re guaranteed to be a hit!
Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins: These classic and fluffy blueberry muffins are easy to make in a pinch and make great use of Nova Scotia’s delicious wild blueberries. Enjoy them with breakfast, a morning snack or your lunchtime dessert.
Wild Blueberry Smoothie: This smoothie is perfect for breakfast or a snack! Featuring Van Dyk’s Pure Wild Blueberry Juice and Nova Scotian honey – this smoothie is loaded with flavour and packed full of antioxidants.
Blueberry Inspired Drinks
Blueberry Moonshine Mojito: Moonshine, blueberry syrup and mint, makes this mojito recipe special! Moonshine makes for the perfect base and blueberry syrup adds a sweet and refreshing taste in this twist on a classic cocktail. This recipe is perfect for any party or causal get together, and will definitely leave you wanting more.
Blueberry Lavender Gin Fizz: Wild Nova Scotia blueberry juice and lavender syrup, perfectly compliments the local gin in this cocktail. This crowd pleasing punch is perfect for sipping on a patio or at a backyard BBQ.
The East Side with Steinhart Wild Blueberry Gin: If you’re looking for a new, delicious summer cocktail, The East Side is for you. Made with Nova Scotia blueberries and Wild Blueberry Gin, it tastes just like the season.
Where to Buy
You can find fresh or frozen blueberries at Bonnyman’s Wild Blueberries, Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms, Masstown Market or one of the many Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
Blueberries from the following producers can also be found at your local grocery store or independent retailers:
- Oxford Frozen Foods: Available at your local Sobeys, Atlantic Superstore, and several independent retailers.
- Country Magic: Available at your local Sobeys, Atlantic Superstore, Walmart and several independent retailers.
- Millen Farms: Available at your local Sobeys and several independent retailers including Noggins and Masstown Market.
- Country Magic: The Blueberry Acres u-pick is now open from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily. Please call 1-902-582-1482 ahead of time to ensure they are open, as the u-pick is weather and crop dependent. Visit their website for information about blueberry picking.
- Lunenburg County Winery: Lunenburg’s County Winery’s highbush blueberry u-pick is open mid-August to the beginning of October everyday from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Visit their website or call 902-644-2415 for all the details.
- Helen B’s Preserves Blueberry Jam: Available at several independent retailers and many Farmer’s Markets of Nova Scotia.
- Tangled Garden Verbena Blueberry Jam: Available in their store and through online.
- Galloping Cows Wild Blueberry Spread: Available at your local Sobeys, several independent retailers and through online ordering.
- Acadian Maple Wild Blueberry Maple Jam: Available online or at their shop in Upper Tantallon.
- Lunenburg County Winery Blueberry: Available at their retail shop and the NSLC.
- Sainte-Famille Wines Wild Blueberry: Available at their retail shop, through online ordering or via the NSLC, and Liquid Assets.
- Casa Nova Fine Beverages: Available at their retail shop, select farmers markets and select NSLC locations.
- Petite Riviere Vineyards: Available at their retail shop, online, or the NSLC or Liquid Assets.
- Muwin Estate Winery: Available at their retail shop, online, the NSLC, WestSide Beer Wine Spirits, Harvest Wines & Spirits, & Liquid Assets.
- Ironwork’s Distillery Blueberry Liqueur: Available at their retail shop, through online ordering or via the NSLC, WestSide Beer Wine Spirits, Harvest Wines & Spirits, Liquid Assets, and Farmers Markets.
- Barrelling Tide Distillery Blueberry Liqueur: Available at their retail shop or by visiting the NSLC, WestSide Beer Wine Spirits, Harvest Wines & Spirits, Liquid Assets or by ordering online.
- Steinhart Distillery Wild Blueberry Gin: Available at the retail shop, through online ordering or via the NSLC, Liquid Assets, and Farmers Markets.
- Raging Crow Distillery Blueberry Liqueur: Available at their retail shop, online, or at WestSide Beer Wine Spirits, Harvest Wines & Spirits, Liquid Assets and select farmers’ markets.
- Annapolis Cider Company Earl Blue Cider: Available at the cidery, the NSLC and Liquid Assets.
- Sea Level Brewing Blueberry Pale Ale: Available at the brewery.
- Van Dyk’s Wild Blueberry Juice: Available at your local Sobeys, select independent retailers and through online ordering.
- Viveau Wild Blueberry Carbonated Water: Available at your local Sobeys, Costco, and select independent retailers.
- The Tea Brewery Blueberry Tea: Available at their retail shop and through online ordering.