What’s Cooking: November 17 – 24
From holiday markets and dessert tastings to fundraiser dinners and new product launches, read on to see what’s cooking this week in Nova Scotia.
Just Us! Coffee Roasters
Just Us! Coffee Roasters have launched this year’s Holiday Blend! This smooth, medium roast coffee has tasting notes of chocolate and roasted nuts, making it perfect for the upcoming holiday season. Buy it today for $13.75 in store, online, or at select Superstore and Sobeys locations.
Made with Local
Made with Local has released an all-in-one one-and-done Holiday Bundle to cover everyone on your Holiday gift list! With 36 assorted bars of local goodness, this bundle truly is a Holiday season miracle. Available on their website for $109.50.
Saltbox Brewing just finished canning their first blend of Clem-tini Hard Soda! Clem-tini tickles your taste buds with citrusy delight. Available as a 6-pack or in a variety pack of 4 online or at the taproom.
Acadia Craft Show & Expo
The Acadia Students’ Union Christmas Craft Expo is back this weekend, from November 17 – 19! Packed with amazing vendors, this expo is a one-stop shop for all your shopping needs. Admission is $7.
Participating Taste of Nova Scotia members include:
- Barrelling Tide Distillery
- Harvest and Wild
- Haskap Highland Orchards
- Ironworks Distillery
- Lunenburg Rum Cakes
- Shivani’s Kitchen
- Steinhart Distillery
- Still Fired Distilleries
Designer Craft Show
Visit Craft Nova Scotia’s Designer Craft Show on the Halifax Waterfront this Friday, November 17, from 12 p.m. – 7 p.m. and November 18 and 19 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. There will be 80 vendors bringing their best for your Holiday shopping needs! Tickets are $8 and are available to purchase online and at the doors. Participating Taste of Nova Scotia members include:
Lupin Dining & Pantry
Lupin Dining & Pantry will be hosting their annual Seaside Christmas Market this weekend, filled with local artisan vendors and treats from their German inspired beer garden. Stop by from November 17, 12 p.m. – 8 p.m. and on November 18 and 19, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Meander River Farm & Brewery
Meander River Farm & Brewery will be hosting a Holiday Market from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m on November 19. Enjoy over 20 local artisans, food vendors, carollers, a food truck, and more!
Petite Rivière Vineyards
Enjoy Christmas at Petite Rivière Vineyards this holiday season for a very special art and craft event on November 18 and 19 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Enjoy mulled wine while you shop gift boxes of wine for all your holiday dinner and party needs! Wines will be 25% off this weekend only.
The Flying Apron Inn & Cookery
The Flying Apron will be hosting a dessert tasting week from November 24 – December 1. Grab a 3 taster plate for $15 or a 5 taster plate for $20, and enjoy some delicious desserts made from scratch.
Treat yourself to dinner this week at The Flying Apron and help raise funds for food aid to Gaza! This week’s menu is a Gaza inspired menu featuring popular Palestinian favourites with a few Levantine influences. The menu is available Thursday and Friday from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Saturday from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Profits collected from dining room sales on these days will be donated to World Central Kitchen.
Call 902-633-2300 to make a reservation today!
The Evergreen Market will be taking place on the Halifax Waterfront this holiday season from November 24 until December 17. Featuring several Taste of Nova Scotia members, a great time to do some of your holiday gift shopping!
- Authentic Seacoast
- Barkeep Cocktails – Market days: Wed-Sun, Dec 6-17
- Benjamin Bridge – Market days: Wed-Sun, Nov 24-Dec 17
- Harbour City Bar & Grill – Market days: Wed-Sun, Nov 24-Dec 17
- Ironworks Distillery – Market days: Dec 13-17
- Just Us! Coffee Roasters – Market days: Wed-Sun, Nov 24-Dec 3
- Lightfoot & Wolfville – Market days: Wed-Sun, Dec 6-17
- Still Fired Distilleries – Market days: Wed-Sun, Nov 24-Dec 17
- December 2: Cochrane Family Farm is having their 10th annual open house Christmas at the Farm and holiday market from 12p.m. – 5 p.m. Admission is free and there will be complimentary treats, beverages, and many great gift giving ideas!
- December 2 & 16: Founders House Dining & Drinks is hosting their Wine Makers Dinner on December 2 and 16, featuring wines from Domaine de Grand Pré. Tickets are $140 per person and available for purchase on their website.
- December 31: Need to make New Year’s plans? Church Brewing Company has you covered with an 80’s themed party on December 31! Doors open at 7 p.m. with the concert starting at 9 p.m. Tickets are $42.50.
Featured Recipe: Scallop Risotto
This Scallop Risotto is a mouth-watering local twist on an Italian classic! Roasted butternut squash and seared Nova Scotia scallops help create this warm, comforting dish. Paired with a glass of Tidal Bay, this recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Local Source Guide:
- Produce: Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms Ltd., Masstown Market, or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
- Seafood: Afishionado’s Fishmongers, Clearwater Seafoods, Comeau’s Sea Foods, Dory Mates’ Seafood Shop, Evan’s Fresh Seafoods, Fisherman’s Market International, and Victoria Co-operative Fisheries Ltd.
- Wine (Tidal Bay): Avondale Sky Winery, Benjamin Bridge, Blomidon Estate Winery, Domaine de Grand Pré, Gaspereau Vineyards, Jost Vineyards, Lightfoot & Wolfville, Lost Bell Estate Winery, Luckett Vineyards, L’Acadie Vineyards, Mercator Vineyards, and Planters Ridge Winery.
Recipe provided by: Jessica Emin (@eatwithjessie)