Guide to Get Your Hands on Local at Sobeys
Looking for a guide to purchase local products? Our Guide to Get Your Hands on Local at Sobeys will make it easy for you to get your hands on as many Taste of Nova Scotia identified products as possible on your next trip to Sobeys. There are so many items you won’t want to miss.
Look for the Taste of Nova Scotia logo where you eat, drink and shop to easily find products that are harvested, grown and produced right here in Nova Scotia! From our land. From our sea. From our hands. There are SO many ways to Get Your HANDS on local!
In Nova Scotia, you can find an abundance of freshly harvested produce available all year long. You’ll find lots of Taste of Nova Scotia products throughout the produce section of your local Sobeys.
- Agri-Growers harvests a wide range of fresh vegetables and fruits out of Nova Scotia’s Annapolis Valley including cut and peeled mini carrots, fresh carrots, rainbow carrots, parsnips, turnips and beets.
- Country Magic primary crops include highbush blueberries, onions, potatoes, strawberries and blackberries that are all available at a Sobeys near you (during their appropriate season) to ensure you get a taste of Nova Scotian fresh produce.
- Den Haan Greenhouses produces greenhouse cucumbers and tomatoes, adding the perfect crunch to your salad or sandwich.
- Millen Farms is a family-owned sustainable farm with 600+ acres of wild low bush blueberries. Available at Sobeys in a variety of sizes.
- Oxford Frozen Foods is the world’s largest supplier of frozen Wild Blueberries and provides them all year round. You’ll be eating blueberries from the blueberry capital of Canada! Find bags of their frozen wild blueberries in the freezer section of the grocery store.
- Randsland Farms is a producer of local broccoli, cabbage and kale. They process fresh, ready-to-eat salad blends to make quick and simple side dishes. Find their Supersalad mix, cut and washed kale, as well as coleslaw mix at Sobeys year-round.
- Stokdijk Greenhouses grows greenhouse cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers – all available at Sobeys.
- Scotian Gold is Atlantic Canada’s largest apple producer, growing an array of Nova Scotian snacking and baking apples including Paula Red, Sweet Tango, Gravenstein and more.
Meat & Seafood
Local farmers and fishers are an important part of our Nova Scotian culinary experience. Check out our list of the producers of Nova Scotia meat and seafood products that you’ll find on your next trip to Sobeys.
- Cedar Bay Grilling Company‘s gourmet Atlantic Cedar Planked Salmon in Applewood flavour is a must on your seafood grocery list.
- Comeau Sea Foods has been a pillar in the Canadian seafood industry for more than 70 years producing seafood products including frozen herring fillets, scallops, and herring roe. Their product lines also include smoked salmon, smoked mackerel, bacon-wrapped scallops, seafood spreads, and more. You’ll find the majority of their products in the seafood freezer section at Sobeys.
- IMO foods produces canned herring, sardines, and mackerel, using freshly caught fish from the Bay of Fundy and the North Atlantic under the Kersen brand. Look for their Kersen brand products in the canned fish section of the grocery store.
- J. Willy Krauch have developed a reputation for producing delicious smoked Atlantic fish since 1956. Find their cold-smoked salmon packed fresh and ready for your charcuterie, lox sandwich or Eggs Benedict recipe.
- Tony’s Meats & “The Original” Mr. Donair offers donair meat and sauce and various other pork products at your local Sobeys.
Every great charcuterie board must include Nova Scotian cheese. Knoydart Cheese House & Farm makes grass-fed, organic cheese curds and cheddar cheeses in a variety of flavors, including peppercorn, garlic, dill caraway and cranberry. Find them at select Sobeys locations.
Never underestimate the joy of a cup of local coffee – Nova Scotian coffee roasters have your local coffee cravings covered.
- Authentic Seacoast Company hand roasts their Full Steam Coffee in small batches. Every bag is certified organic, fair trade and Kosher, ensuring that you receive the best beans farmed by folks who receive a fair wage.
- Just Us! Coffee Roasters Co-op offers specialty grade, certified fair trade, SPP (Small Producers Symbol) and organic coffee.
- Laughing Whale Coffee Roasters produces sustainable, ethical and delicious coffee that will have you “laughing” in no time.
Pantry and Snack Items
Fill your pantry staples with local products by looking for the Taste of Nova Scotia logo on these pantry staples and snack items.
- Acadian Maple makes 100 per cent pure Nova Scotia maple syrup and maple butter that you MUST try on your pancakes.
- Galloping Cows Fine Foods feature six flavours of jalapeno pepper jellies, fruit sauces, jams, chutneys, beverages and gift sets have been a hit at the Oscars, Golden Globes and TIFF!
- Kittilsen’s Honey doesn’t just sell liquid honey, their creamed honey is the perfect sweetener or spread.
- Made with Local brings together the yummiest ingredients to create Real Food Bars and Loaded Oats instant oatmeal to ensure your snacks have local love.
- Mad Gringo Hot Sauce keeps it spicy from mild to wild, there’s something for everyone in their hot sauces, spicy beans and more.
- Shivani’s Kitchen offers gluten free, preservative free authentic Indian spice blends and ready to use sauces to create delicious dishes like dreamy butter chicken, sweet and savory curry and spicy tikka! Experience the bold, authentic flavors of India.
- Valley Flaxflour Ltd. uses all Canadian, GMO-free ingredients in their versatile gluten-free all-purpose flour and in their pancake & cookie mix.
Sip the local flavors all year long by trying a locally made beverage.
- Canada Geese (Spa Springs Canada Geese Mineral Water) offers a natural high calcium mineral water is a healthy and refreshing beverage. Due to its balanced taste, this gently sparkling water is perfect as a thirst-quencher or as a companion to delicate food
- Chill Street Craft Beverages non-alcoholic sodas are available at Sobeys locations so that you can “chill out” and enjoy.
- Van Dyk’s By Nature produces delicious 100 per cent wild blueberry juice made from only Nova Scotia wild blueberries, and include no added water, sugar or preservatives.
- Pure high mineral content water, blends with premium fresh Nova Scotia fruit to create Viveau. All-natural Nova Scotia ingredients are expertly crafted to produce three flavours: blueberry, cherry and apple.
Have you discovered a new local product? Tried something new? We would love to hear from you! Use #GetYourHandsOnLocal to share your local story on social!
We believe in connecting over food and drink! Make sure to tag us on your culinary adventures and subscribe to our Taste of Nova Scotia newsletter for more news and culinary info.
@TasteofNS | #TasteofNS